Shop My Instagram

Monday, December 29, 2014

Happy Pawlidays: Santa Paws

Merry Christmas! Sorry it’s a little belated but we’ve been super busy. Things really got going with the holiday celebrations a little over a week ago. Every year of my life we’ve spent time on Christmas Day at my parent’s house opening gifts and hanging out in the morning. Later on we head over to one of my aunt’s houses on my mom’s side and then to one of my aunt or uncle’s houses on my dad’s side. But when I started dating Chris, Christmas Day got a little crazy because we added in 2 more stops to see his Grandma and Grandpa and his immediate family.
The past few years we’ve been together we’ve planned everything out to make it happen. Although great to see all our family members, it’s kind of exhausting running around to 5 different places. So this year my mom suggested we have our little family Christmas the weekend before the actual holiday.
On that Saturday evening Chris and I dressed nice, packed up the dogs and headed over to my parent’s house. Mom made dinner and we opened our gifts while the boys practiced staying in place in preparation for the big Christmas Eve party. Later on we headed downtown for drinks and dancing and the night couldn’t have gone any better.

Sunday morning I woke up with what I assumed was a hangover. This girl isn’t used to tossing back strong cocktails anymore and the headache was killer. But then I started having a strong aversion to light and my vision went a little blurry. The dreaded migraine. I very seldom get headaches let alone migraines so I’m not entirely sure that’s what it was but it sure felt like one. Never the less I popped some Excedrin and took a nap under Chris’s new Michigan blanket.

When I woke up I felt like a new chica and thank goodness because it was baking day with my soon to be mother-in-law and sisters-in-law. We made and decorated Christmas cookies and candies all day and I was glad I didn’t have to miss out. Later on we grabbed the boys and headed out to see the light display at Sharon Woods. I love family Christmas traditions!
 
So by Monday I was planning how I was going to finish my pre-holiday To Do list and a blog post just didn’t fit into the schedule. I worked Monday and Tuesday so with only 2 evenings to fit a bunch of stuff in, there was just no extra time. I did manage to mark everything off the list and get to bed Tuesday night at a decent hour, which is a miracle if you ask me. I almost forgot one of the most important things to do – paint my nails! I’m all for festive manicures and a lot of people had not seen me since I became an engaged lady so my fingers needed to be pretty and polished for added viewing pleasure.

Christmas Eve morning Chris and I woke up early to take Ares and Chaos on a chilly walk. Then it was off to work for him and off to get ready for me. Every year my mom, my sister and I pick a color and all make sure to wear it. This year was emerald-ish green. There probably isn’t a fabric I love more than flannel so I was psyched that I found the perfect green shirt to wear with leggings for the party. It was actually about 60 degrees when we headed over to my parent’s house so I didn’t dress the boys in their Christmas sweaters. I packed them of course for later in the evening though.
The party kicked off just around noon and I spent most of the first few hours talking wedding plans and catching up with people I only see once a year. Soon Chris arrived and it was almost time to bring out the boys. We’ve been working hard on commands and adding distractions but a party full of people is a lot to handle for 2 dogs who love nothing more than getting attention from both new and familiar friends. They certainly weren’t perfectly behaved but the guests were pretty impressed anyway and Chris and I were proud parents.
Christmas morning it was off to spend time with Chris’s family and have breakfast. I loved watching his 2 year old niece open her presents. There is just something so fun about seeing little ones open Christmas morning gifts.


Our next stop was Grandma and Grandpa’s but we didn’t stay long. Grandpa just had quadruple bypass surgery and as you can imagine, he’s not been feeling the greatest. They certainly did love their new calendar with pictures of us and all the furbabies though. That will probably have to be a new yearly tradition now.
 
The 3rd stop of the day took us over the river to my aunt’s house where Ares and Chaos were gifts new rope toys from my cousins. I thanked them for the boys because they were home passed out from all the partying they did the night before. But don’t worry we didn’t leave them alone too much past their dinnertime. Our last stop was back on the Kentucky side at my other aunt’s house which really isn’t too far from where we live. 4 places seemed so much more doable than 5 and it was so great to see everyone.


I was lucky enough to be off work the day after Christmas and Chris didn’t have to leave until the afternoon. Since we were not home on Christmas Eve, Santa came a day late to our house. The boys fell asleep waiting up for him but they got their big surprise the next morning: A huge candy cane bone.
Chaos immediately tried to claim it and well, Ares just let him. He was much more into the doggie gingerbread cookies and I can’t say I blame him. They smelled way better.
 
3 big Nylabones were also gifts from Santa and again, Chaos piled them all up in front of him. But don’t worry, he didn’t mind when Ares grabbed one for himself. They share all of their toys like good little boys.
You’re probably wondering about the cats. Well, Santa has realized the cats aren’t really thrilled with new Christmas presents. So instead Piper got dog free cuddle time, which is her favorite, and O got to play with bottle caps, his guilty pleasure.

Our holidays are always very busy but packed with fun things to do and spending time with family. This was our last Christmas as an unmarried couple so I look forward maybe starting some new traditions with my new last name next year. I hope your holidays were as fun as ours and you didn’t get sick from eating too many cookies! (No, not me…hehe). Here’s to gearing up for the new year.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10