Shop My Instagram

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Life as We Know It


Will never be the same. If it's your first baby EVERYONE will tell you this, because it's true. Bringing a baby into your life is something you can never fully prepare for. You could read all the books and all the articles and all the blogs and take all the advice, make lists, buy all the things, organize and nest until you drop. And you will still feel totally and utterly blindsided. But at the same time, a little tiny person just showed up and joined your family and somehow you forget what life was like before he or she arrived. 


In our experience so far, our new normal seems pretty much, normal. Although it's been a huge adjustment the past few weeks and we continue on the learning curve that is parenthood, having Fallon hasn't been all sleepless nights, dirty diapers and endless feedings. Of course every baby is different but Fallon sleeps well at night, waking every 3-4 hours to eat. She's nursing but will switch between boob and bottle no problem. She will even take milk cold, right out of the fridge! But before any of you with a different story want to throat punch me, we have our challenges. 


Fallon was born weighing 7 lbs 7 oz. It's normal for babies to lose up to 10% of their birth weight right away and Fallon was no exception. We saw her pediatrician 5 days after she was born and she had lost about 9% of her birth weight. Thus began the weight check saga. It's been a bit of a roller coaster with gaining and losing but finally she is back up to birth weight and we don't have to see the pediatrician again until her 2 month check up. 


Nursing, just like they say, also hasn't been the smoothest ride. We are both new to the game and learning as we go so I'm not surprised. While little miss piggy loves to eat and has a great latch and suck, she's a bit lazy sometimes! It was also a struggle to wean her off the shield I was told to use at the hospital and pumping after feedings is an annoyance but we take it day by day. We can't decide if she's a piglet or a bird because she eats like she's never been fed but usually in smaller quantities than what is average for her age. Sometimes I feel like I'm tied to baby or pump but I have a great support system and I'm stubborn enough to power through. I hear 5/6 weeks is the sweet spot when things really start falling into place for first time nursing mamas so soon enough we should find a good rhythm. 


While Fallon has no day/night confusion that is common with newborns, she definitely isn't a baby that sleeps all the time. She likes to boycott naps and is very awake and alert for the better part of the day. We are working on some sort of schedule but I have a bad feeling she may take after mama and never be a great napper. I have no one to blame but myself!


I honestly did not have a feeling that baby Pfeff was a boy or a girl before delivery. My nurses were still asking me while I was pushing! We would have been just as happy either way but having a little girl is beyond amazing. I think my favorite part of being a girl mom so far is watching Chris with Fallon. He's such a guys' guy but he has jumped head first into this whole girl dad thing and is so in love with her. The funny thing is, while I'm sure if we had or ever have a boy he will be a fantastic boy dad, right now I can only picture him with girls! Case in point: he ordered her a bunch of baby gear for football season and was distraught over the fact that he couldn't find many pink things. It's amazing how much more you can fall for a person after you have a child together. I look forward to each new day as a family of 3 (humans) and can't wait for all the adventures we will have!


Life as we know it will never be the same. Bring it on because it just keeps getting better!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10