Shop My Instagram

Friday, July 20, 2018

DIY Perfume with Essential Oils

When I was pregnant with Fallon I ran out of my favorite perfume. I thought a quick google search would show me where to find the best deal on a new bottle. But that lead to me an article that scared me straight. I had no idea that I was dousing myself daily in a multitude of toxic chemicals. And, this part really gets me, subjecting my unborn baby to all of them as well. Essential oils weren't even on my radar at the time but I felt strongly enough about the research on store bought perfume to ditch mine completely. 

I was always the girl who liked to carry a cloud of scent around me, leave a trail in my wake and imprint on anyone I hugged. So when I started using essential oils I absolutely loved being able to wear scents again without worrying about nasty effects on my body. I've now made several of my own natural, safe perfumes that smell amazing! And the best part is knowing that when my babies snuggle into my neck they are not breathing in harmful chemicals. 


What you need:
4oz glass fine mist spray bottle (like these or this)
3oz vodka
1oz fractionated coconut oil (or other carrier oil)
50-70 drops essential oils

Add the essential oils and carrier oil to the bottle of the spray bottle then top with vodka. Shake to combine then let the oils meld together over the course of a few days and allow the alcohol scent to dissipate. You can leave out the alcohol all together and use witch hazel or just carrier oil in its place. The alcohol just seems to combine the scents much better. I also have a few rollers I've made up to throw in my diaper bag and would be great for traveling. I just use a third of the ingredients. 



Creating your own perfume blends can be a really fun process! Commercial scents are created using base (10-20 drops), middle (20-30 drops) and top notes (10-15 drops) and you can do the same with oils. Use one or several of your favorites from each category to customize a scent that's perfect for you. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10