Shop My Instagram

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pretty Poison: Toxic Plants & Furbabies

May flowers are in bloom everywhere we look. There are so many different types of flowers and plants around here that I could not even begin to learn all their names. But there are a few that we as pet owners definitely need to know because they can be poisonous to our furry kids. 


Most plants considered toxic to dogs and cats are irritating to the mouth, skin or digestive tract. But some are more dangerous toxic affecting the internal organs like the kidneys or the heart. It's not only important to be aware of poisonous plants but also symptoms of exposure or ingestion of them. Some side effects include redness, swelling, itchiness, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and difficulty swallowing or excessive drinking and urinating. 


Lilies are my favorite flower. I love the variety of kinds and colors but unfortunately they are poisonous to my furbabies. The lilies of greatest concern are Easter lilies, tiger lilies, Asiatic lilies and day lilies. Ingestion of even a small part of the these plants can cause kidney failure if left untreated. I love my lilies but I love my furry family members more so the lovely bouquets I received for my birthday were enjoyed on my desk at work. 

 



Tulips are another beautiful flower that can be dangerous to dogs and cats. The bulbs have the highest level of toxicity so make sure if you plant them in your yard that your dog is not a digger and is well supervised around them. Ingestion generally is not deadly but can cause irritation of the mouth and esophagus and would still require medical treatment.




Rhododendren are very common to plant for a nice landscape but even a small amount is poisonous to our furballs. A plethora of serious symptoms can occur such as blindness, seizures and tremors. Prognosis is good with treatment but something that can be easily avoided when you know what to look for.



We should certainly take the time to admire and appreciate all the plant life in bloom in our neighborhoods or lovely gifts from loved ones but we need to be careful when it comes to our precious pets. I've only included some of the plants that are toxic to dogs and cats so please check Pet MD for further information. Happy Spring!

 

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10