Shop My Instagram

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Pooches to the Rescue, or Not

Even with 4 furbabies always around, it’s generally pretty quiet at our place. Occasionally the cats play fight or Piper truly gets ticked and lets out a disapproving wail. From time to time Ares will make this alien-like high pitched squeal indicating he would like some fresh water in the water bowl. Or there are those moments when I see a creepy crawler somewhere in the room and the thumping of me flailing around in terror echoes through the condo. But never is there screaming.


We don’t have any human children or teenage girls in hanging around so conversations are usually held at a normal register. Ares might play growl or bark at a squirrel outside and Chaos lets out long, loud sighs of contentment when he gets in a cozy spot. If Chris or I are in separate areas and too lazy to walk to the other person we may shout out a question. But rarely is there screaming.


Because the problem with both my dogs generally tends to be that they are TOO friendly, I’ve wondered if they would ever actually protect us if the situation presented. I know that dogs are pretty good at sensing energy but we have yet to really encounter any bad situations. So I’ve thought to myself, what would they do if I was in trouble?, how would they react to a real scream?.


Well I found out just that answer this past weekend. The shower in the master bedroom has smoked sliding glass doors. I shut the bathroom door when I shower but since I don’t always wait for the click signaling the door is latched shut, all the furballs tend to let themselves in. Of course it’s only when the door is closed that they want to come in.



Even though figures are completely blurred when looking through the glass doors, I just felt the need to have a shower curtain. But that doesn’t stop the gang from popping their heads underneath to say hello. At any point while I’m washing my hair I may look over to see a furry face smushed up against the glass or a tongue licking the condensation. Needless to say, I don’t get much privacy. But I’m also not startled easily when I’m in the shower anymore. Until Sunday night.




I had just gotten into the shower and was wetting my hair when all of a sudden something much different than the water stream hit my arm. It was so unexpected I let out a scream. A loud scream.

Within seconds the door flew open and a large orange head appeared outside the shower doors. Chaos had come barreling in to my rescue.



He was followed by Chris’s voice in the doorway asking if I was alright to which I replied yes. It was a close one but I won the battle of month vs. Hilary. I had to also assure Chaos I was okay before he trotted back out to living room and I finished my shower.

When I came out I was Ares lounging on the couch without a care in the world. I told him I was disappointed that he wasn’t ready for battle when mommy was in trouble. After all those early months of potty training and getting up with him at all hours of the night he couldn’t at least pretend to come to my aid?


Chris chuckled and stepped in telling me he did come running when he heard the scream. I just never saw him because on the way to the bathroom is the closet. The closet has mirrored doors and the handsome devil got distracted by himself. Nice.




Would your furballs be first responders if you were in need?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10