Shop My Instagram

Monday, July 21, 2014

Sleepy Sunday: 7-20-14: Ares Turns 2!

This Sunday was not a typical Sunday for us. Our bouncy little Boston boy turned 2 yesterday. He woke me up at 6:20 AM to start his birthday celebration by puking on me.


Normally the dogs sleep in their crates but since it was his birthday I drug one of the big dog beds into my bedroom and let him sleep there. I had a bag of brand new clothes sitting on the floor and after he puked I quickly realized why. He had pulled the shirts out of the bag and chewed up the tags. There was no damage to any of them, they were just missing the tags. And the extra buttons that come in the little plastic baggies. So guess what I got to make sure came out when he went potty? But, hey, birthdays around our place are kind of a big deal. So it was okay.


I had planned to make a cake like I did last year using dog friendly ingredients. But then I found a recipe on Pinterest for doggie cinnamon rolls. Both my dogs love anything with cinnamon so I thought I’d give these a whirl. It’s funny because they look very much like people cinnamon rolls except they are actually hard and crunchy like a dog biscuit. There’s even icing for them!


As soon as “Happy Birthday” finished I gave the go ahead to eat and Chaos gobbled his up in seconds. Ares is always slow with food though and took his sweet time breaking each one apart and licking it clean and then chewed it up. They both definitely loved them though so I will keep the recipe in my arsenal when we need some high value treats.


Call me crazy but I believe birthdays come with presents, even if you are a dog. A couple weeks ago when Chris was in a wedding he left the tuxedo bag on the bed. Ares took the opportunity to hop inside and I found him lounging that way when I walked in the room. Just for kicks I thought I’d zip him up and just leave his head out and try to get a quick picture. I was a little surprised that he actually didn’t try to escape at all. Instead he just went with it and actually decided to lay down and take a snooze all snuggled up. That’s when it hit me. The perfect birthday present. A sleeping bag.



I don’t know if they actually make sleeping bags for dogs but I figured a human kid’s one would work just as well. When I brought it out Ares was very excited. He just knew it was all for him. And when I got it out of the bag he immediately claimed it.



After I got it zipped up I showed him that it opened and he could crawl inside. He went right in and took himself a little nap with his full belly of cinnamon rolls. If you don’t think this is cute you shouldn’t be reading this blog.




If you don’t live around the Cincinnati are you might not even know about ,let alone be a fan of Greater’s ice cream. If you’ve never had it, just believe me when I say it is the best. And it just so happens that National Ice Cream day and Ares’s birthday fell on the same day.




We generally make it a point not to feed our dogs human food unless it’s a dog friendly recipe or a very special occasion. So in honor of turning 2 we took Ares down to our local Greater’s store and got him his very own cup of peanut butter ice cream and sat outside.



I’m not sure he took his face out of that cup for a good ten minutes. It was pretty warm so ice cream was a nice treat for all of us. The funny thing is Ares didn’t make a mess at all. But I spilt chocolate chip cookie dough all down my pants. And a little on Ares’s head. I don’t claim to be graceful.


If you’re wondering why Chaos didn’t get to go there are 2 reasons. One, he will get to do a solo activity on his birthday so he gets all the attention. Two, the Greaters by us is in a town where Pit Bulls are not welcome unfortunately. Even if they are sweet and adorable. But don’t worry, he got to stay home with a juicy bone that he was quite happy about.


After our ice cream treats Ares treated Chris and to some lovely aromas in the car the entire way home. Apparently the ice cream gave him some gas. We just rolled the windows down and tried to breathe sparingly. Good thing we did not have a long drive. You learn to appreciate fresh air more when you have dogs.


Upon arrival home Ares decided to spend the rest of his birthday as the cuddle king. He spent some time on the couch with us, well mostly Chris, his favorite human. He spent some time on the bed all by himself. And then he spent some time in his new sleeping bag, all snuggled up like a bug in a rug.







Sometimes being Ares’s mommy is a lot of work. He’s hyper, stubborn, defiant and a bit of a sass. But he’s also adorably goofy and sweet and makes us laugh every day. Happy birthday to my crazy little guy. We love you more than you will ever know.




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10