Shop My Instagram

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Rainy Day Sanity Savers

So it's been a whole week since I've posted and I first wanted to apologize for that. Fallon and I caught a little virus over the weekend and between recovering and catching up around here, I just haven't had the time. Well, that's not entirely true. I would have had the time but I chose sleep. Priorities people. Anyway, it rained pretty much all day yesterday and March definitely came in like a lion today. Wicked storms and a tornado touchdown nearby had us praying for a halt to the waterworks. I'm thankful to report the rain did stop and we are all safe and sound. I know some of these things won't apply to those of you with older kids but I thought I'd share some activities to do on rainy days with babies. I think we forget that even the ones who are too little to tell us they're bored can get cabin fever. And that's mama's worst nightmare. 

Take a bubble bath. It's wet outside, why not roll with it and splash around inside. Most kids like to play in the tub (or the sink!) and you can even join them or just hang out sip your coffee. Or wine. No judging. 

Have a floor picnic. Fallon loves food but a change of scenery is always nice and extra fun for kids who usually sit in a highchair. Of course there's going to be a mess but if you ask me I'll take a mess over a meltdown any day. We put down our Gathre mat in the living room and cleanup was really no big deal. 

Turn off the TV and turn up the music. I'm not against kids watching TV but if you're stuck inside all day you might want to hear something other than Disney songs over and over again. Babies usually like any kind of music so you get to pick. Fallon is probably the only person on the planet who appreciates my singing voice and especially loves when I dance with her. Have a little dance party around the house and burn some extra calories for the win.

Bake something. Or cook something. I'm a much better baker and I have a sweet tooth so that's my first choice. Fallon can't participate much yet but she loves to watch the stand mixer whirling around and see all the ingredients go into the bowl. I never give her more than a crumb or two of the finished product but she gets excited just the same. 

Find creative ways to use household objects as toys. It's a well known fact that parents buy all these toys labeled as such for babies and then they just want to play with the boxes they come in. Yet we still buy them. Hmmmm. Yesterday I went up to take a shower and when I returned Chris had a small pot and a spatula and was showing Fallon how to "cook" her toy fish. She was enthralled and having the best time trying to stir the fish around herself after watching daddy. 



Here's to hoping the rain stays away for a little while!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10