Shop My Instagram

Friday, May 19, 2017

Vacay Pics + Travel Tips For Tots

Our vacation started early on a Monday morning when we flew to Alabama to leave on a 5 day cruise. It wasn't Fallon's first time flying, but it was my first time flying alone with her. Chris had to stay behind for work so it was just the 2 of us, navigating check-in, security and a connecting flight. So before I get to all the fun stuff, let's talk about a few things that made traveling with a baby easier, especially doing it solo. 

1. Bring way too many snacks. Fallon was only 3.5 months old when we flew the first time so I nursed her during takeoff and landing instead. This time around I stuffed my diaper bag full of all the snacks. And I fed them to her while we waited to board the plane and throughout the flights. If you think you have enough snacks, add in more just in case. 

2. Wait until the very last call for boarding to get on the plane. Walk around the terminal, sing songs, read a book, whatever you have to do while everyone else gets on. Don't even worry about them running out of room for your carry-on bag. You can either check it gate side or a very nice flight attendant will stow it in the closet for you. Just don't be stuck on the plane any longer than you have to be. 

3. Let people help you. I struggle with this. I don't want to be a bother to anyone and I like to think I can do it all by myself. But when someone offers to put your bag in the overhead compartment or grab it off the gate side rack, let them. I cannot tell you how floored I was by the kindness of strangers during our flights to and from our destination. And remember that when you're traveling. The lady with the baby next to you could be me. 

4. It's okay to cry. I mean I'm hoping it's not you that's crying but that's okay too. Life is rough. But if your kid cries, WHO CARES?! The majority of people on the plane are parents or grandparents. They've been there, done that, got the t-shirt and most likely aren't fazed a bit by a little screaming. If it gets really bad, just order yourself a cocktail and buy a round for all the adults on the plane. I joke. But really. Don't stress about it. You'll never see those people again anyway.

5. Forget all the rules. Leave the nap schedule at home for the day. Let your kid eat the cookies they give you on the plane, pull the magazines out of the seat back pocket and let her crinkle the combos wrapper found wedged between the seats. Just do WHATEVER IT TAKES to keep them occupied. Trust me, they won't be scarred for life. 

I'll spare the details but a few things went wrong on the way to and during our trip. But don't worry, none of them killed us, obviously, or put a damper on our vacation. We ate (a LOT), we swam, we went to the beach and even hung out on a trampoline in the ocean! 

We spent our days at sea poolside, breathing in the salty ocean air and soaking up some vitamin sea. Our 2 days in port we beached it and Fallon wasn't exactly all about the sand between her tows, she was happy to enjoy the view from mama's arms. 3 course dinners with fresh seafood and melting chocolate cake were every day affairs and Fallon even went to a Dr. Seuss brunch! Thanks so much to my awesome in-laws for this vacation!!

Now if you'll excuse me I'll be doing the old camera roll scroll through all these pictures as I share them with you. Happy Friday!!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10