Shop My Instagram

Monday, July 24, 2017

How To Make An Entryway In A Small Space

Some homes have a mudroom, some have a foyer and some have a big hallway when you walk through the front door. My home has none of these so when we first moved in, my plans to update did not include an entryway. But thanks to all the beautifully styled options on Instagram and Pinterest, the creative juices started flowing over the winter.

Our front door is the main point of entry for any guests we welcome into our home. The stairs are off center with the hallway to the kitchen to the left and the dining room just beyond. The walkway to the powder room to the right and we have 4 windows across the front of the first floor of the house so there isn't much wall space. It didn't help that light switches had been placed in the center of the wall space that was available. But sometimes fewer possibilities are easier to work with.


The storage/shelving unit combos sold specifically for entryways are a one shot deal and fit well into many spaces. But when you're working with about 6 feet of wall space and a foot deep of floor space, you have to think outside the box. A simple bench and hanging shelf unit with hooks were the 2 pieces I felt would look best and be most functional. Unfortunately I can't link the exact ones I have as they aren't available anymore, but you can find many similar options here, here and here.


The walls had already been painted Silver Chain by Benjamin Moore so it was a shame that the wall had to be cut to move the light switches. Luckily my brother-in-law is an electrician and did it for us one day and Chris patched and painted afterward. But I was surprised at how little time it took and I would have absolutely paid someone to do it to get my entryway. Your light switches can be moved people! Make sure you measure the space and map out how much of it you want taken up by furniture. Using all the available space isn't always the best way to go. Pick your pieces to flow with with other surrounding areas but don't forget practicality is key! I really just wanted a nice area to put our keys and sunglasses and something to hang Chris's hats and my bags. 2 shelves, 4 hooks and a simple bench were perfect to hold all these things plus add a decorative touch. 


I am honestly so happy with the way it turned out and still amazed that just moving light switches and adding 2 small pieces made such a huge difference. It is one of my favorite little spots in the house. And now we don't spend 10 minutes looking for keys because they somehow ended in the fridge. Hopefully I'm not the only one that has happened to. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10