Shop My Instagram

Friday, March 21, 2014

I Thought I Taught you Better than That: When the Furbabies are Embarrassing

When Chris started the externship part of his training for school he had to bring a friendly untrained dog to practice the skills with. He took Ares because although Ares has had obedience training, he’s very good at pretending he hasn’t. When they arrived at Chris’s mentor’s home for their first session they went to the training area and Ares sniffed around and then promptly peed on the wall.


Now, Ares is far from a perfect little angel but he is completely housebroken and never goes inside when he’s at home. I was not even there but when Chris told me what happened I was red with embarrassment. Unfortunately that is not the first time nor the last that one of my animals has done something embarrassing.


Ares has the smushy face and snorts a lot. Air in = air out and when it comes back out you want to walk in the other direction quickly or at least hold your nose. Last spring my parents had a grill out at their house and Chris, Ares, Chaos and I attended along with some of our friends and family. Ares loves attention and when he gets excited he snorts even more than usual. Couple that with the fact that we were in the process of switching him to new food and you can only imagine what I’m about to say. Aunt Kristina was sitting in a chair reading a magazine later in the evening and Ares hopped into her lap. He then began stink bombing so much that everyone else cleared out of the room. Eventually he got kicked off Kristina’s lap too because it was just too much to bear. Embarrassing.


Chaos loves people. He loves being around people, being petted by people and snuggling with people. And sometimes his love of people distracts him from what he’s supposed to be doing. One day at the dog park there was a man with his young son. They didn’t have a dog with them so it seemed they had just come over from the kiddie play area next door to check out the puppies running around. Well Chaos decided he wanted to meet this little boy immediately and before we knew it he was tackling him to the ground and licking his face with abandon. Luckily the kid was not afraid of dogs or upset by being knocked down and licked. His dad actually thought it was funny once we made sure he was not hurt. Embarrassing.



  
Piper has always been a toe nipper. She used to do it to my sister and I when we were sleeping in attempt to wake us up, which definitely worked. One night I had 2 friends over to stay the night when I was still at my parents’ house. Piper decided it would be fun to attack their toes. They did not think it was so fun and apparently were trying to wake me up because they were so scared of my crazy cat. Embarrassing.


 


Little O loves to bird watch out the back door. He will sit or lay for hours just watching them at the bird feeders. Sometimes squirrels run past too and he always just calmly watches like it is the most interesting show on TV. Over the weekend I was getting ready to leave so I needed to take the dogs out. I put the leash on Ares and opened our sliding back door and just as I did a squirrel ran across the grass. I turned to shut the door and out ran Little O like he was on fire chasing after the squirrel. He is not an outdoor cat and has never bolted out the door like that so I was initially in shock. I quickly shoved Ares back inside and took off across the grass in my bare feet screaming. The squirrel had disappeared and I think once O realized he was all the way out in the grass he didn’t know what to do. So he just sat there and waited. I picked him up and was jogging back inside when I saw several neighbors out on their decks just watching me scold my kitten like a child. Embarrassing.


 


These are just a few of the many ways my furbabies have embarrassed me. Granted, their antics make for funny stories and laughs to share and in the end make them that much more lovable. I’m sure there will be many more to come. Do your pets embarrass you? Do you feel the need to say I thought I taught you better than that like me?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10