Shop My Instagram

Friday, April 25, 2014

Furbabies: On Birthdays and Gotcha Days

Do you love to celebrate your own birthday? How about someone you love’s birthday? Well, my birthday was yesterday and I love to celebrate any birthdays. It’s essentially a celebration that you or someone else has completed another year of life and I think it’s awesome!



 


So what about your pet’s birthdays? There are people who would roll their eyes hearing someone talk about celebrating a pet’s birthday. But those people are probably not reading this anyway!


Some of you might say you don’t know your pet’s birthday. Maybe you rescued him or her from a shelter or he or she just sort of wondered into your life. Sure, the vet can estimate how old Sassy is but you won’t have an exact date of birth. And that’s where the Gotcha Day celebration was born.


I had actually never heard of the Gotcha Day until very recently so I guess I’m a little behind the times. It’s just the day you rescued or took your pet into your home and Scrappy became yours forever. This can take the place of a birthday celebration if you don’t know your pet’s birthday and don’t want to just make one up based on an estimate of when he or she was born.




Piper was a rescue and I never knew her real birthdate so I never celebrated. I just always knew approximately how old she was each year. But when I got Ares, I had a birth certificate that said July 20th, 2012. So I couldn’t help but have a little celebration on his very first birthday.

 


In the morning we took Ares and his brother to the pet store and Ares got to pick out his own toy. This consisted of him running up and down the toy aisle and sniffing everything in sight before snatching a plush alligator off a shelf and continuing on his way like he wasn’t shop lifting. Don’t worry, we did paid for the alligator, now known as Allen.


Chris was horrified by the little birthday shirt I had ordered for Ares but I still put it on him. I admit, it was too girly with the rhinestones but he rocked it proudly anyway. Even when a lady thought he was such a pretty girl he happily licked her hand and thanked her for the compliment.


I found a recipe for a doggie birthday cake and made one with icing and all. Ares was so meticulous about eating his piece of cake. He licked off all the icing first and then slowly chewed up each bite. Chaos devoured his piece before we could blink and then proceeded to start cleaning up Ares’s crumbs. There was blue icing everywhere but it was fun to see them enjoy the cake so much.


Unfortunately for Chaos’s first celebration he had an upset tummy so no cake. But he also got to pick out his own toy. Everything is better if it’s bigger to our resident pittie so it’s not surprising that he scooped up a big blue Nylabone. I was banned from getting him a birthday shirt and I’ll bet you can guess why.


 

This year we will celebrate all the birthdays and gotcha days for our pets with toys and treats and lots of extra attention. Sure, some people probably turn up their noses and think we are ridiculous. But I know all my crazy pet lovers will be doing the same things with their furbabies. So cheers to birthdays and gotcha days. May all your furbabies’ wishes come true!


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10