Shop My Instagram

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pit-i-ful Things

When someone says a particular word or a phrase it can immediately cause you to think of another word or phrase, a mental image or even a whole memory. We all have our own opinions, biases and life experiences, so the same word for one person could have a completely different connotation than it does for the next person. When you say Pit Bull, I think my dog Chaos. When I say Pit Bull, what do you think?


If you follow me on Pinterest you might recognize this as the title of one of my pin boards. It’s full of pictures and quotes about one of my favorite dog breeds. Pit-i-ful references the literal meaning, full of Pit, which I am clearly a fan of.


I didn’t start this blog to preach or to use as it a tireless crusade for Pit Bulls. But a Pit Bull named Chaos does happen to be a very important member of my family, so the controversy surrounding his breed is something we deal with on a daily basis. That is not to say it’s always in a negative way. On the contrary, we actually receive a lot of positive feedback about our lovable pittie. But unfortunately there are still many people who haven’t looked passed the media hype and stereotype to learn the truth about the dog I call my baby.


The original Pit Bulls hail from England where bull baiting was popular in the 1800s. Old English Bulldogs were used in this blood sport that entertained the working class. When bull baiting was declared illegal, the people took to dog fighting. Eventually these bulldogs were crossed with terriers to breed a more agile dog to maneuver in the ring . These bulldog/terriers were specifically bred for bite inhibition with humans. The fighting dogs needed to be handled by people for these staged fights and so any dog showing aggression towards humans was not used for future bloodlines.


The immigrants brought their dogs with them to America where they were more often used as working farm dogs than pit fighters. Pit Bulls are the original “nanny” dog because families entrusted their young children in their care while they played. Many photos from the late 1800s depict Pit Bulls as treasured family pets.






During WWI Pit Bulls served their country by carrying messages and protecting soldiers. Sgt. Stubby, a Pit Bull, was a decorated war hero and featured on the cover of Parade magazine. Pit Bulls were used in war propaganda to symbolize the American spirit: strong, brave and hard working. They also appeared in media ads like Buster Brown and as the tag a long pup in “Our Gang”. President Theodore Roosevelt and Helen Keller were Pit Bull owners.



So, how did Pit Bulls go from beloved all American dogs to vicious, dangerous monsters? They didn’t. In the 1980s dog fighting gained immense popularity in America. Observationally speaking, the Pit Bull is the perfect fighting dog. They are strong, resilient, athletic, agile and possess immense stamina. Their most prominent characteristic was abused: loyal to a fault. People in poverty stricken areas capitalized on the sweet nature and trustworthiness towards humans combined with their athletic qualities and pleasing ways and exploited them for personal gain. The general public began to associate Pit Bulls with this these types of people and illegal activities and thus began their tragic fall from glory in American society.


Today, in some places, the tide is starting to turn again for these incredible dogs. The Animal Planet reality show Pit Bulls & Paroles has put a spot light on these outcast former hero dogs. Celebrities are speaking out to raise awareness for the plight of Pit Bulls left to die in shelters. And the dogs recovered from pro-athlete Michael Vick’s fighting ring have garnered a positive public response. But it is going to take some time to reintroduce American society to the truth about Pit Bulls.



 
url.jpg
When I began thinking about a perfect brother or sister for Ares, Pit Bull did not even cross my mind. Like many people, I had only heard mostly negative things about them. And if I had met a Pit Bull at any point in my life, I had no idea that’s what it was. Chris actually was the one who made the suggestion for me to get a Pit Bull. I trust his opinion and he has a lot more experiences with dogs than I do. So I did some research and found everything I could about the breed, leaving out media or pro/anti propaganda. And in the end, I couldn’t find a reason not to bring a Pit Bull into my life.

Pit Bulls have all the qualities I was looking for. They are sweet and good-natured with humans, tending to become shadows of their beloved owners. When raised with animals in the home and taught appropriate behavior they form strong bonds with other pets. Pit Bulls are great with children, sensitive and silly. You will find that a happy Pit Bull wags not just his tail but his whole body with a  pretty “pittie” smile. These dogs are intelligent and easy to train as they have a strong willingness to please. And with proper exercise they do well in most living situations. Sold.

 


The hero dogs of the past aren’t the ones who have changed. It’s the people. Humans have used the Pit Bulls’ qualities against them, yet society is still blaming the dogs. I have a saying in my world: Open your mind and they’ll show you heart. If you’ve never met a Pit Bull, come meet mine and you’ll see exactly what I mean.

 

Chaos came into my life over a year ago and stole my heart and I never looked back. In our house, Pit-i-ful is a good thing. When I say Pit Bull, you think...fill in the blank.


 

Have a Pit-i-ful Day!
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Very well done. Great post and I hope are much more to come.

    ReplyDelete

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10