Shop My Instagram

Saturday, October 8, 2016

When Life Gives You Lemons


Do you ever just feel like your life has suddenly become the plot of a sitcom? Like the universe is playing some kind of sick joke on you? I hate to complain, I really do, because I realize how lucky I am in so many ways. But recently life has handed us a bunch of lemons all at once and it's been kind of overwhelming. 

Fallon was born 3 months ago but we have just now received all the final medical bills for both her and me. I am so, so grateful that we both received such a high level of care and the end result of a healthy baby is priceless. But it has unfortunately come with a lot of dollar signs. Of course we don't have to pay everything at once but I absolutely hate having the debt hanging over our heads. 

Then there's the spiders. I mentioned it already but when Chris discovered that we have brown recluse spiders calling our garage home it made my skin crawl. We aren't just talking creepy bugs with lots of eyes and lots of legs, they are venomous. Thankfully it's rare to be bitten as they are not an aggressive spider BUT if you are bitten and receive enough venom, well, let's just say it's all kinds of bad news. You can't spray for these guys so we had pest control come out to confirm the spiders were in fact the venomous type and find out what to do. We had already set glue traps but our garage and probably our home (for precaution, we've never seen any in our house and have vacuumed it top to bottom) will have to be fumigated. 

Apparently those issues weren't enough so let's throw car trouble into the mix. When we have car trouble it never seems to be the kind where there's a simple, inexpensive fix. We just put a new engine in our SUV a few months ago and Chris was pulling into work earlier this week when it just blew. Of course it did. So the search for another car is on. 

Now, a big piece of shit cake is nothing without icing right? So it's all been topped off with my 3 month old suddenly pulling all nighters and no naps on me. Teething is a bitch. Sleep deprivation and baby screaming don't do much in the way of trying to stay positive through a tough time. And it super sucks when you can't soothe your kid or take the pain away. 

By yesterday afternoon I was teetering on the verge of a colossal breakdown when Fallon finally fell asleep. My mom stopped over with a big iced coffee and I got to take a nice long shower. An afternoon trip to Target and an evening with family, friends, good food and cold beer was just what we all needed to push the reset button and get out from under the cloud of doom. 

They say that when life hands you lemons you're supposed to make lemonade. Well our lemonade went sour before we could drink it so we tossed it and we're doing this our way. When life hands you lemons throw 'em at the well, go scream in a closet, pass the whiskey and then count your blessings. It's okay to get upset, to wallow for a minute, to be angry and frustrated when you're in an unfortunate situation. But just remember no matter how bad you think you have it, there's someone who has it worse. 

One day I'll look back at this point in my life and laugh at how ridiculous it was to be upset over. In the meantime if anyone needs me I'll be paying bills, tiptoeing around my garage, car shopping, using all the concealer under my eyes and appreciating the crap out of my amazingly supportive family and friends. Because who needs lemonade when it's PSL season anyway?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10