Shop My Instagram

Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Body After Baby

I had no plans whatsoever to do this post. I'm not opposed to putting it all out there at this point but this is a topic that can bring up negative feelings and emotions and that's not my intention with this blog. But my audience has spoken. This is what y'all wanted to hear about so here we go. 


When I got pregnant I was 28 years old and in good health. I walked about 3.5 miles several times a week with Ares and Chaos plus a few days of half hour strength training. I was and still am a vegetarian and whole heartedly believe in a eating well for your body but treating yourself in moderation. I'm 5 ft 4 in and my pre baby weight was 116 lbs. I was fortunate to be able to continue working out throughout my entire pregnancy, even doing HIIT cardio one or two days a week into my third trimester. I had developed an even bigger sweet tooth than I already had and definitely indulged more than I should have, but kept eating healthy for the most part. I was up to a 31 lb weight gain at 38 weeks but lost 3 lbs by the following week for a total of 28 lbs. My last weigh in was at 39 weeks and I delivered Fallon at 39 weeks, 6 days so 28 is the last number I have to go on.

I have no idea what determines the rate at which each woman loses baby weight or how quickly her body recovers. I'm sure genetics has a lot to do with it, probably the condition of your body during pregnancy and luck of the draw. Don't compare yourself to me or anyone else. After I delivered Fallon my belly started deflating like a basketball someone let the air out of. My uterus began contracting back down to its original size almost immediately. I wore this belly band under my clothes as soon as I was able to get dressed after giving birth, about 2 hours later. Maybe it helped, maybe not, but it definitely stopped the my organs are floating around inside my body feeling and I absolutely recommend it. I wore it for 2 weeks straight postpartum around my belly and then moved it to my hips for weeks 3-4. 

Fallon was born on a Wednesday and the first time I tried putting on anything but leggings was 4 days later when family was coming over. The pair of jean shorts I had worn until the last day of my pregnancy fit without a struggle but they were 1 size up from my normal size. The next day I wore a pair of pre baby jeans and they were snug, but not uncomfortably so. I didn't weight myself but I am fairly certain I lost all the baby weight within a week of delivery. I realize this sounds like I'm bragging and probably many of you are cursing the hell out of me right now. Please, please, please remember I am only giving all these details because I was asked to and I'm no better than any of you. This is just the way my body responded. 

The first time I weighed myself was actually on the scale at the pediatrician's office when Fallon was about 3 weeks old. I had lost all my baby weight and then some and even though I was pretty sure that was going to be the case by the way my clothes were fitting, it still seemed crazy. Breastfeeding takes a lot of calories but it doesn't make your body magically go back to the way it used to be. My hips are a little wider, the skin on my belly is a little stretched out and booty is not as perky as it once was. I've never had the most body confidence but strangely I am happier with my body now than I've ever been. 

I got the okay from my doctor to start walking Fallon in her stroller as soon as we got home. I was careful not to overdo it even though some people thought I was. I just knew that I needed to move as part of my healing process. At 4 weeks postpartum I was allowed to begin light pelvic floor exercises and then at my 6 week checkup I was cleared to resume my pre pregnancy workouts. Fallon will be 18 weeks old tomorrow and I currently weigh 114 lbs. I push her in the stroller or walk with her in my wrap several times a week up the big hills in our neighborhood or at the local park. When I have time I do half hour HIIT or strength workouts on YouTube but that may only happen 2-3 times a week. I eat my fruits, veggies, whole grains and protein but I also eat cheese fries, pizza and Halloween candy. 

I have less muscle tone than Ive had in a long time and sometimes that bothers me. I've had to get rid of several pairs of pants and tops because they no longer fit the shape of my post baby body. I see the loose skin on my tummy when I sit down and lift my shirt to nurse. My whole entire point to writing this, other than to answer the questions y'all have e-mailed me, is to say that I am perfectly imperfect just like you. I worked hard during my pregnancy so I deserve some credit there but mostly I hit the genetic lottery and just got plain lucky on losing the baby weight so quickly. I struggle with not being able to work harder post baby but my priority every day is Fallon. I struggle with recognizing my body in the mirror. I struggle with putting on a bikini and realizing it does't fit the way it used to. I struggle just like all of you. But my body protected and nourished my baby while she grew. I want to stay healthy for her but I also want to promote self confidence for her. 

My body after baby will never be the same. And that's okay. It might be better. It might not. But it's the one body I've got and it's my job to take care of it and love it the best that I can. Some days that's easy and some days it's hard and some days it's everything in between. I'm learning to push myself when I can and not sweat it when I can't. Having a baby changes your body in so many ways but the thing to remember is how incredible that is. 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10