Shop My Instagram

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Tips For Traveling With A Pint Sized Passenger

Some people told us traveling with a 3.5 month old baby was a little crazy. And some people said it was actually a good age for it. I guess it depends on a lot of different factors but it worked out really well for us. We already knew Fallon loves a crowd and has an adventurous personality so the hustle and bustle of travel was not a concern. But there were a few things we did that seemed to help everything go pretty smoothly. 


We flew out in afternoon both on the way down and on the way home. Originally we needed to fly down at this time due to Chris's work schedule but the more I thought about it, I realized it was a good idea anyway. Although Fallon isn't on much of a nap schedule, she does wake up and take a morning nap around the same time each day so I did not have to worry about switching that up or skipping the nap. If you can plan your flights so that you don't have to wake up the babe earlier than usual or miss a nap, it's probably best for everyone. 

Packing for a baby is basically just as involved for one day as it is for several. The only difference is the amount of clothing because you need all of the baby things regardless. I usually stress over trying to pack light to fly and make sure suitcases are not overweight. This time I was just focused on bringing everything I thought we would need for Fallon. We ended up with a big suitcase that was actually under 50lbs plus the diaper bag and a large tote as a carry on. I felt so prepared for any situation and I didn't forget anything like I think I would have if I was worried about overpacking. 


Sticking to the routine you have at home is not always easy on vacation. We keep a flexible schedule at home and replicated it the best we could while we were away. Babies cannot tell time so even if you can't get that part exact, keeping your sequence of events is still helpful. We woke up at Fallon's normal time every day, respected her morning nap, even if it was underneath a pool chair or covered up on the beach. We have this baby tub and it was so perfect for traveling since it folds flat. Just like at home we did our bedtime routine and Fallon got the cues it was time to go to sleep. We brought her rock n' play cradle as checked luggage and she slept in it right next to the bed just like we were at home.

We flew Delta so strollers and car seats fly free. The car seat came with us since we needed it for Fallon to ride from the airport to the hotel and then in the car we rented. We debated bringing the stroller but ended up deciding against it and I am so glad we did. It would have been a giant pain to add to our luggage and we wouldn't have needed it at all. Instead of a stroller I highly recommend bringing a wrap carrier like the Solly baby wrap. It doesn't take up much room in the diaper bag and I always have mine with me anyway. I used it to carry Fallon through the airport, nurse her in it on the planes, walking on the beach and at the wedding reception. The wedding and reception took place at the hotel we stayed at so after I took Fallon to the room for the bedtime routine I put her in my wrap and was able to go back and enjoy the reception well past her bedtime while she was fast asleep cuddled against me. 


And maybe my most important piece of advice: bring stain remover and plastic bags. Fallon had a few blowout including one on the plane on our way home. She was sitting on my lap. I would haven had to throw her clothes away and probably had my favorite jeans ruined if I didn't have both of these essentials. Yes, I walked through the airport with poop on my clothes but that stain came out and I didn't have to get rid of anything. Badge of motherhood. 

Happy Travels!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10