Shop My Instagram

Sunday, February 18, 2018

How To Wash Your Hair Once A Week



I washed my hair every single day for a very long time. That was the normal thing to do and I never thought twice about it. In college a friend of mine went to hair design school and told me about this stuff called dry shampoo. Um, what? Why would I spray powder in my hair? Weird. She explained that washing your hair every day actually isn't the best way to keep it healthy. I wasn't convinced. And honestly this was way back during a time when I frequented smoky bars and occasionally ended up with beer in my hair. Yup, former party girl right here. I'm not sure dry shampoo would have been my best option. 


Fast forward a few years. I got an office job, found a guy who didn't care if I wore heels or slippers and traded in nights out for take out on the couch. And really started to invest in self care. I washed my hair every other night for a while before lessening to 2-3 times a week by the time I had Fallon. I quickly found myself only washing my hair once a week and have never looked back. So if that sounds like your kind of thing, here are my best tips for rocking dirty hair without looking homeless (mostly).

Start Slow 
If you wash your hair religiously every single day, do what I did and slowly lessen washes to weekly. You could do this over a few weeks. 

Use Dry Shampoo
I've tried several over the past few years and for the price, you can't beat this one. It works for all hair types/colors and doesn't leave a powdery residue. Bonus points for adding volume. Brush your hair first! Lift 1-2 inch sections of hair and spray it onto roots. Gently massage into your scalp and let it absorb while you do your makeup, wash your face, catch up on Hawaii Five 0, ect. If your hair seems greasy as washing day nears go ahead and sleep with the dry shampoo in. Repeat in the morning. Or just be lazy like me and wear a hat.

Stop Touching Your Hair. 
Oils and dirt from your fingers transfer to your hair causing it to become greasy so much faster than if you just leave it alone. I find this easiest to do if I've fixed my hair. But I'm a busy mama so I do not have the time to do it daily, sometimes only once a week. I make it a point to have time on the day I wash my hair to blow dry and fix it. A great thing about "dirty" hair is that it tends to hold a style better than squeaky clean hair so your do should start to last longer. If I am able I'll recurl later in the week but I'm a big fan of just throwing on a hat or twisting up a messy topknot.

That's it! Only having to worry about washing my hair once a week is so freeing. I'm about to have even less time on my hands for luxuries like long showers and getting myself ready so you can bet I may even try to sneak in another day of dirty hair without anyone noticing. Wink wink. I've linked my fave hair products below!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10