Shop My Instagram

Monday, February 10, 2014

On War and Chaos

I have always been an animal lover but only had small pets as a child. A fish, a hermit grab, a bunny and drawf hamsters are among the creatures that inhabitated my house growing up. My parents weren't fond of dogs or cats so I did not start collecting my bigger furballs until high school. I had always imagined what a cat or dog of my very own would look like and what I would name him or her. The funny thing is, it took awhile to land on names for both dogs and both cats. 

Piper was a rescue but did not come with a name as far as I know. Actually her name was Lexi for about a day before I realized that did not suit her. The movie Coyote Ugly was and is still a favorite of mine and Piper Perabo plays the lead actress. I loved the name and it just fit her. 



Ares did not have a name for the first several hours after we picked him up. He was a gift from Chris and came from a farm. There were several puppies and I picked him because he was the cutest little boy with a black dot on his head just looking at me with those big bug eyes and pawing at the crate. I had been thinking about what to name him but wanted to meet him first. After much debate Chris started naming off zodiac signs, one of them being Aries. I have always enjoyed Greek Mythology and remembered that the greek god of war was also Ares but spelled differently. It was ironic naming a tiny little adorable Boston Terrier such a fierce name so we went with it and thus began the greek saga. 



When I found out about adopting Chaos I narrowed down some names from greek mythology I liked and then waited to bring him home. Chaos, the nothingness from which all hell broke loose, was quickly the obvious choice. He was a this little ball of fawn colored fur with puppy wrinkles around his face just running around his new home like he owned the place. Soon he discovered his reflection in the full length mirror and started barking and hopping around and we knew it was the perfect name.



The most recent addition was Little O. In his foster home he was known as Bernie but once he came to live with the rest of the motley crew he got a name change. Orion was just a cool name and known in greek mythology as a huntsmen, fitting for a cat on the prowl. Almost immediately we started calling him Little O as a nickname and it just stuck. 



Is this just me or have other people had trouble naming their pets? Did you have names picked out before you met them? Did you know what to name them right away?
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10