Shop My Instagram

Friday, February 21, 2014

On Winter Gear: Human Edition

In honor of the fact that the temperature has soared above freezing this week, I want to talk about winter gear for the humans who walk the dogs. I’m a temperature sensitive person. I’m happiest when the temperature is about 75 degrees so I’m freezing all winter even when we have normal seasonal temperatures, which for my area is probably between 20-35 degrees. This winter has brought out very low temperatures so I’ve been REALLY cold!


Before I got my dogs it had been quite a while since I needed a nice warm outdoor coat. As kids we played in the snow and went sled riding every time it snowed so I had all the gear: coat, hat, gloves, scarf, snow suit, snow boots, warm socks. But once I grew out of that stage I didn’t have much of a need for a weatherproof coat because I didn’t spend extended periods of time outside in the winter. Of course I’ve had winter coats but of the more stylish variety like leather and pea coats. So the first day I went to walk the boys and needed a coat it dawned on me that I didn’t have one for this particular activity.
Even though I’m 26, Santa Claus still visits me every year. I can’t help that I’m just such a good girl he keeps coming and brining gifts. This year I asked for some winter dog walking gear and my wishes were granted. I got a weatherproof Columbia coat to keep me nice and warm on our 3 mile walk. At first glance it doesn’t look or feel all that warm but the material inside is a super insulator (omniheat technology) and I can attest that it does its job. It also comes in really fun bright colors and is still stylish!


Santa also brought me glittens and infinity scarf. If you don’t already know, glittens are mittens that fold back to become fingerless gloves. They are warm and practical for when it’s time to pick up doggie doo doo. The scarf keeps my neck toasty and is easy to quickly loop on and zip up underneath my coat without being too bulky.


My sister got me a cute ear warmer headband for days when my hair is up. I love the fun bow in the front and that it’s also colorful and really warm. We walk through part of a college campus that sits up on a hill and it gets really windy but I don’t have to worry about it blowing off my head.


When my hair is down I wear a fleece hat which is actually from Baby Gap. Yes, my head is child-sized. It’s been that way since I was born so I always have to buy hats in the children’s department. I like mine because it’s soft and warm and has a cute pattern. It’s always an incentive for me to do things I may not want to if it means I get to wear fun clothes.


Even though all my outerwear is really warm, with me being the cold person that I am I need a little bit extra clothing when the temperatures get below about 20 degrees. On these days I wear a thermal shirt and fleece jacket under my coat. I found good deals on thermals at Target and Old Navy last year and my fleece jacket also came from Old Navy. Again, fun colors and patterns make me happy so I’m more willing to put them on.




If it’s not too cold I’ll just wear pants on the bottom. I like the fleece pants from Old Navy (which are actually pajama pants, but hey no one can tell) and sweatpants from Victoria’s Secret Pink. When it gets colder I add a pair of leggings underneath. My favorite pairs are still these from American Eagle that I’ve had for longer than I care to share.


Finally we get to the feet. Depending on how cold it is I will wear 2 or 3 pairs of socks. If it’s just 2 I wear a regular pair of ankle socks with a warmer pair of high socks on top and if it’s 3 pairs I just add another pair of high socks. Then I stuff them into my UK rubber boots. They are actually rain boots but I wear them in the snow too because they are the only high waterproof boots I have. The downside is that they are not warm at all (hence several pairs of socks) and they have no traction so I tend to slip (and sometimes fall) on ice. My dogs are horrified and look around like they don’t know me. Apparently it’s embarrassing for them to be seen with me if I fall. Next winter I plan to invest in a pair of nice winter snow boots. Maybe a pair like these.




What do you wear out to walk your dogs? Do you have to layer when it’s cold like me? Do you also embarrass your dogs if you slip and fall?

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10