Shop My Instagram

Thursday, September 17, 2015

We Just Do

When I tell people how often Chris is out of town I tend to get the same response over and over again. Some ask how I do it, some say they could never do it and some just give us props. First let me say that Chris is out of town a maximum of 2 weeks at a time. I’m sure any of you military spouses are nearly scoffing because you’ve managed through months of separation and 2 weeks is no big. My hat is totally off to you. So while we certainly appreciate the kudos, we do at least see each other every other weekend, which makes it not so bad.


I am never really sure how to answer the question of how I do it. I just do. He leaves, I miss him, but I do still have my own life. I work a full time job Monday through Friday, keep our home clean, care for the furbabies and do my own thing (hang with friends/family, shop/bake/blog, ect). It’s not all cupcakes and glitter having to walks the dogs every day by myself and keep a strict cleaning schedule while our place is still on the market. It sometimes is a little lonely going to bed by myself every night and attending weekend parties/events without him. But it’s definitely not a terrible way to live. If you think you could never do it, you could. It’s probably not something you’d WANT to do, but when you have goals in mind, the sacrifices you make along the way to achieve them give them purpose.


Before you point out that we don’t have human children and how much more difficult it would be if we did, I’ll do it for you. I can only imagine how tough it would be to do everything I do now on my own with even one kid let alone more. But believe it or not,  I sometimes get overwhelmed caring for the furbabies by myself. Chris’s erratic schedule and the fact that he’s gone a lot affects them just like it affects us. Ares sometimes stands at the door crying for hours after he leaves. I swear he even pouts. And cats especially don’t like big changes in their environment. When Chris started leaving for weeks at a time, one or both of the kitties started peeing on things they shouldn’t. If you aren’t familiar with cat behavior, they do that when they’re upset so you know about it.


When you add up walking the dogs 3 and a half miles daily, picking up poop in the yard, cleaning the litter boxes and any other messes they make, bathing the dogs, brushing the cats and giving everyone enough love and attention, it’s quite a job to do alone. I’m not patting myself on the back or fishing for your compliments. Other people go through this too and many have it much, much harder. Hell, Chris is out there working long hours doing physical labor, away from all his friends and family. The point is, sometimes it sucks, but we just do it. We make it work. There is no magic to it. And if you ask anyone who does this and has human kids or has a spouse who leaves for much longer periods of time, they might have a better answer.



Of course wine and ice cream always help. 
Happy Thursday!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10