Shop My Instagram

Monday, March 7, 2016

Bananas for Blueberries


My kick for the past week has been blueberries. I typically buy them on my weekly grocery trip but last week they tasted especially delicious and I was hooked. My daily brown sugar cinnamon Pop-tart was no longer going to cut it so I ventured out to find some of the blueberry variety. OF COURSE all 3 places I checked were out, except for the original kind. Who wants frostingless Pop-Tarts? Not this girl. They don’t even look right, like they’re naked or something. I finally got my fix on Friday when I stopped at Walgreens and to my surprise a man was literally stocking the shelves with blueberry Pop-Tarts in all their frosted glory. I nearly gave the poor man a heart attack when I squealed with delight and asked him for the box in his hand. 


Saturday morning I made a parfait for breakfast with layers of Greek yogurt, organic blueberry cereal and of course, blueberries. Thinking back to the raspberry French toast I made a few weeks ago, my mouth nearly started watering as I imaged blueberry French toast. So I grabbed more blueberries and a loaf of French bread on my grocery run and made that little dream come true Sunday morning. I don’t have an exact recipe for French toast but I am a huge fan of using fresh French bread and fruit and the rest goes something like this:

1 egg
½ tsp cinnamon (I probably use more)
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk


Whisk it all together and then dip your slices of buttered French bread in and cook with olive oil over medium heat. I use Earth Balance original buttery spread. Chris is a cow milk, cow butter kind of guy but he doesn’t even notice that I use almond milk and vegan butter instead. The amount of bread slices you’ll get out of this mixture will vary depending on how thick you want them but I coated 8 fairly thick slices. I topped ours with blueberries and a bit of powdered sugar and I could have eaten 3 platefuls I’m sure. I’m thinking blueberry overnight oats are in tomorrow’s future. At least there are lots of healthy options when you’re craving blueberries!

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Ruff Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig
01 09 10